3.01.2014

In the West

...a cute little card for a couple of challenges today. :)

This is for the Hero Arts birthday challenge, CAS-ual Fridays #129, Simon Says Stamp Wednesday pearl challenge, and my friend Virgina's new Virginia View challenge!


This card was inspired by THIS pin - I tell ya, there is SO much inspiration to be found on Pinterest!
I was originally thinking I would watercolor the smoke and then stamp the sentiment in white, but I like dimension, so I decided to cut out the smoke instead.


However, I did use some watercoloring! I didn't try to get super fancy with it here - just a grey and black watercolor pencil, and then a black Distress Marker for the really dark areas, topped off with a silver pearl!


Not gonna lie, this sentiment from THIS Hero Arts stamp set may be my favorite stamp sentiment yet. It's just such a sweet sentiment, plus, the font looks a lot like my handwriting, so I can get the feel that I "wrote" the sentiment on the card, with the ease of a stamp. :)
And obviously, the paper the sentiments are on are definitely a different shade of grey than the train - I didn't notice till I had taken the pictures, and I had gone too far then to try to get a better match. ;)

Thanks so much for stopping in today and God bless!

******************************
Cardstock: Strathamore, Bazzill
Stamps: Hero Arts "Miss You So Much" and "Past Times"
Ink: Versamark, Distress Marker
Patterned paper: Crate Paper "Story Teller"
Other: pearl (Michaels), watercolor pencils, embossing powder (Martha Stewart)

Tools: heat gun

13 comments:

  1. Oh such a clever design Clare! I love how the sentiment comes out of the smoke!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a creative approach with this image (I love love that cut out smoke!!)! And your water-coloring of the train is superb, Clare! The image reminds me of the children's book illustration! It has that retro feel...how cool is that! Thanks SO much for playing Virginia's View Challenge! Hope to see more of your beautiful work! PS: you know I am your fan, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clare, I came over to tell you how much I loved how you made the smoke on this great card. I hadn't realised you'd used watercolouring so creatively too, wow! Fabulous card! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever design! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. seriously creative! Love what you've done!
    Thanks for joining us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! this is such a GREAT card!
    looooove it!
    Thank you so much for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays!
    Sylvia xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, this is sooooo cool, Clare! Amazing design. Thanks so much for playing along with the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge: Anything Goes with Pearls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a dynamic card! I love how you die cut the smoke portion and that is one handsome locomotive! Thanks for joining us at CASual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave me a comment - it is always much appreciated. :)