12.04.2016

12 Tags of Christmas with a Feminine Twist // Hero Arts

Hello all! I'm so excited to be participating in this years Ellen Hutson's 12 Tags of Christmas with a Feminine Twist event as a guest designer.

I was lucky enough to be paired with the one and only Jennifer McGuire, with the challenge of die cutting felt.

For my tag today, I not only die cut the felt, but I did a little heat embossing on the felt as well!


I'm not gonna lie - heat embossing on felt can be a little tricky. I treated it like paper for the most part, making sure I added a lot of anti-static powder to the felt before embossing. I stamped Hero Arts Holiday Mittens on the felt firmly with Versamark ink, and then added some Hero Arts embossing powder

Now, the whole heat part - this is going to vary depending on what your felt is made off. If your felt isn't 100% wool, then you need to be extra careful when adding the heat, otherwise you could melt the felt as well.
A couple tips for getting a crisper heat embossed look (neither of which I followed because I was too lazy;)) :
  • Use pre-stiffened felt, or stiffen it yourself using fabric stiffener spray.
  • Sandwich the felt between two layers of paper, then iron. This will keep some of the stray fibers down and out of the way.


After die cutting my mittens, I adhered them onto a kraft tag that I had die cut and heat embossed a sentiment on, as well as a little watermark woodgrain stamping.

A big thanks to Ellen Hutson for inviting me to participate in this awesome event! Check out their blog for even more Christmas tag inspiration!

VIDEO



If you are having a problem viewing this video, please try watching it HERE on YouTube.

SUPPLIES


Cardstock: Ranger
Ink: Versamark
Other: Hero Arts white embossing powder, gems, string, felt

Tools: Cuttlebug, heat gun, Hero Arts Holiday Mittens and Infinity Tags die

4 comments:

  1. Really nice! The embossing looks great on the mittens. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I love, love your cute little mittens and the color too is fabulous...these are super cute heat embossed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very clever of you to heat emboss mittens. Adorable. And now we've all learned from you what to avoid. Well done, Clare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this comment is late but I wanted to offer an idea for stiff felt. Target sells a multi-colored stack of very stiff felt cut in 5x5 squares. (I think they are 5x5 -they are fairly large) Anyway-- the stiffness would be perfect for heat embossing! In fact, when I saw them I was drawn to how pretty the colors were but was wondering which project I could use them for since they were so stiff. (Now I know!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave me a comment - it is always much appreciated. :)